Part of the Magnificent 7 series of simple strategies that can significantly add to learning. If I could only use 7 these are what they would be
- Only use technology when it does something you cant do without it.
- It has to cost much less in terms of effort to learn/money than the benefit (Think of the original Dartfish – fantastic concept but too complex/ too long to set up etc so hardly used )
- It has to be reliable and be able to work offline
- Preferably free
These tools are subject to change so please watch and add comments – what would your top 7 be?
(1) Video delay – Simply delays transferring the video for a preset time . So you see what happened 10 seconds ago. Great for self analysis of tennis serves/golf shots etc or for analysing with the students what they are are doing with them able to see their own performance. Note these do not keep a recording so are for on the fly support
Lots of them reviewed here they all do a similar thing . Put your phone/iPad on a tripod or simply hold it . Film the students doing high jump/long jump etc. Then they run round to you and you can talk them through their performance
(2) iMovie – This really is a fully featured video editing app . Slow mo , add music, split screen comparisons
(3) iDoceo 4 – A fantastic racking and assessment app for PE You can use it offline for registers, lesson planning and recording progress – nice video here
(4) Dartfish – Great analysis app that can enable you to show with data what is really happening on the sports field. Its also perfect for cross curricular maths as the data can be exported
(5) Padlet – Simple idea but fabulous way of sharing visual information with the class. Post videos up directly for peer feedback. One option is to turn on moderate posts and you can broadcast a game with photos and commentary to parents (like the BBC ones) if you use the stream option.
A post by @ictevangelist is here
An example of its use in PE is here
(6) Bleep test – Where technology really makes a difference !
Lots of them reviewed here
(7) Twitter – If only for instantly informing parents / students/ schools of changes to fixtures twitter has real value . Create your own Personal Learning Network (PLN) . The global community of PE teachers is brilliant. To see my list of PE teachers to follow go to here Please feel free to contact me to add more people worth following
Showbie is awesome for tracking progress and narrowly missed the list
Sprint Timer is another great one
Tutorial here https://iteachpe.wordpress.com/2013/06/01/how-to-use-sprint-timer-application-for-athletics-time-trials-in-pe-2/